Thursday, August 6, 2009

On the road to recovery

I'm still a little sore from yesterday's Craigslist incident. Dibs is dibs, folks. It is an understanding even my 7 and 8 year old sisters understood when "calling" the front seat for trips to the grocery store (that is, before you had to be in a car seat until you were 15).

So to help all of you ignorant to the Rules of Dibs, let me give you a brief summary (the full text can be found in Section 16.8 of the Law of Dibs):

  • "Dibs" is not necessary to claim possession of disputed item, title, etc. Acceptable claims are Mine, Me, Shotgun, Here. Also, the more obvious, "I will take it" is adequate.
  • Acknowledgement of possession, or lack of, does not affect claim in any way.
  • Once dibs is called it cannot be un-dibbed unless the dibber gives his or her consent.
  • Dibs does not expire until, for example, the filing cabinets are retrieved.

I will need a few more days to recover. But I am hopeful once I return to Craigslist to continue furnishing my make-believe house I will find a few more educated sellers.

No comments: