Friday, January 28, 2011

Say it ain't so!

Bad new, folks.  Just saw this in my email (apparently someone has heard of my unnatural love of chocolate):

Will there be a chocolate drought? World’s supply of sustainable cocoa could run out by 2014

It's an article.

And it predicts a most unfortunate occurrence.

One that ranks above global warming on my scale.

'Supplies of sustainable cocoa are set to run out, it's that simple,' he said.

So what do we do?  Where does this leave us?  Growing mini cocoa crops in our back yards?  Seed processing plants in our garages?  Our own personal team of chocolate bar producers at a cost of $5,000 per Hershey's with almonds??

I grow dizzy at the thought.

But at the same time I wonder if 2014 is when I finally break myself of my kiss-a-day habit?

(and I'm not talkin' about Corey kisses)

I think New York State is doing something very similar with tobacco.  Not that there is a shortage.  They've hiked the taxes so high it costs an arm and a leg for a pack of cigarettes and it's forcing some people to quit.  If I have to save a month's worth of wages for a simple Lindt truffle, it just might be worth it to me to instead use that money for, say, a few car payments.  Maybe a week long trip to Europe.  Or a complete wardrobe change.

But as I read the article further, I see they're talking about fairtrade cocoa.  It makes up something like 1% of the chocolate in the world.

Looks like the addiction continues.

No comments: