Thursday, September 15, 2011

Chef Corey

This season of our marriage is all about food.

We cook it (and I say "we" very loosely), we eat it, and now we watch it.

Before Corey I'd never watched a single minute of the Food Network in. my. life.

I never cared how it got made, just so long as it did and went into my belly.

BFF: "Ohmigosh!  It's Bobby Flay!!!"

Me: "Who??"

Now I'll see the guy walking ten feet away and I practically have to pick myself up off the floor.

Why?

Because FN is all we watch.

Corey is especially enthralled with the cooking competitions.  It's fast paced and frenzied, something I think he can identify with clearly; Iron Chef just happens to be on every single night as he makes our dinner* and often will talk to me as if we are part of the competition, he being the contestand and I am the judge.

"What I've done here is marinated the chicken in a creamy sauce then served over a bed of crisp greens..."

Tuesday night he cooked for me a full three course meal, each presented with a Japanese accent (imitating Iron Chef Morimoto, of course).

The first course: a blend of cheeses with a dash of cayenne pepper grilled between two flour tortillas with a garnish of hot sauce on the side.  (Quesadillas)

The second course: a grilled bread topped with a tomato sauce, a blend of cheeses and pepperoni chunks, cut into four pieces.  (A frozen Celeste pizza)

And finally, the third course, which really was a masterpiece:



An ice cream Snickers bar with whipped cream and sprinkles on top of a homemade raspberry sauce with crushed walnuts.

It was pretty darn tasty.

Although a little out-of-the-box, which is what those shows are meant to be anyway.

Watch for Corey's own show in the future.  He's just the kind of food nut they love!

...

*Corey makes our meals because 1) he enjoys it and 2) I have only enough time to pop a hot pocket into the microwave.

1 comment:

Erin said...

This is hilarious and I love the sophisticated descriptions!