Thursday, June 16, 2011

On Current Events

If you live anywhere in/near New York State or the other 49 states, minus probably Alaska, I sometimes wonder how much they know about what goes on waaaaaaay down here, you may have heard about this little piece of legislation that is coming up in our chambers today.

It's a same-sex marriage bill.  And the reason I'm thinking you've probably heard about it is because we've been getting your calls California.  And you too Nebraska, Missouri, Indiana, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and Florida.

We've been getting so many calls the past three days the entire Senate phone and Internet system froze.

So many calls I couldn't post a Ten on Tuesday, for cryin' out loud!

It's kind of a big deal.

And despite my own personal views on the subject, I'm thinkin' this time it's going to pass.

**thinks quietly**

...

**thinks quietly some more**

...

**screws face into, "how do I say this without offending" look**

...

**wonders why she wore her "stinky" flops today when she knows they should be in the garbage**

...

I am against same-sex marriage.

(this is when corey opens his email and crafts a nasty-gram because he hates it when i get into this kinda stuff...um, anywhere)

(just kidding...he doesn't send nasty-grams.  just scold-a-grams.)

(which is probably necessary because there go my followers...)

Anyway, the point of this post is not to convert anyone to "my side" or to get on my soapbox and preach.

What I don't understand is why people have to get so ugly about it all.  On both sides.

"I too fear that those who preach marriage as the sole source of procreation lack the intellectual aptitude to raise children who will have a positive impact on society. Please go back to school to learn basic grammar and spelling - while you're at it, perhaps you'll pick up some tolerance!" (comment to newspaper article)

"They all (gay people) just need to be shipped to a deserted island!" (overheard conversation)

This is so sad.
 
That's all I really had to say: Have your opinions, but don't be ugly, people.

1 comment:

Debbie said...

Thank you Stacie...well put! Love Mom.