Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Ten on Tuesday

Here is something only a handful of people know about me: I hate being late.  I despise it.  Loathe it.  However, there are a few things that I will be consistently late for.  Like work, my mom's sewing class, church, and this Ten on Tuesday business.  I've come to terms with my lateness in these areas.  So should you.

Now, let's get on with it.


1. How did your parents decide on your name?
I remember something about an actress?  I don't have a good story, but my sister does.  When my mom was pregnant her mom was seeing this psychic who told her the baby was going to be a girl.  My parents wanted so badly for her to be wrong so they assumed they were going to have a boy, and he would be named Nicholas.  When Nick came out without the necessary extra parts my parents said, "ummmm, how about Katie?"  So now she is Katie Nichole.


2. Do your initials (First, Middle, Last) spell out anything fun/funny?
I'm SJL now.  SJD up until September of '09.  My old college roommate, Alica Swan, was going to have the middle name Samantha.

Everyone else has a great story...

3. Did you take your middle name from childhood or did you take your maiden name as your middle name?
I kept my old middle name, Stacie Jo Lucas.  But I could have went with Stacie Dina Lucas.  Sounds like a regular name, too.

Could have went?  Is that right?

4. Are you or will you name your children thematically (ie. same first letter, all of same origin…)
I shouldn't, because by the time I get to my ninth child I might start making up funky names that will scar the poor dear forever.

5. Did you decide on baby names as a little girl? Did you stick to them or change your mind?
If I had names picked out as a kid I don't remember them.  I did ponder a few names in college, but an ex-boyfriend beat me to the punch and stole one of them.  I have since revised my selection.

6. Does your family have any names that have been passed down through generations?
There are three Williams on Corey's side, that I know of.  And a couple Joseph's on my dad's side (three if you count my abbreviated "Jo").  I like the idea behind passing down names:

"Hey, I think so highly of you I'm going to stick my kid with your name for the rest of his/her life!"

Awww.  Warm fuzzies!

7. Do you look at the meaning of the name or just the name itself?
The name.  If meanings were important I would just call people Tuna Breath or Cheese Head or Knows How To Invest Wisely...or whatever our names really mean.

8. Do you name pets with human names (Sally, Henry) or with pet names (Fluffy, Mr. Bo Bo)?
I go with infrequently used names.  Like for the dogs: Zack, Dixie, Lucy, Indy and Oliver.  The turtle was Humphrey.  Guinea pig, Neapolitan.  Rescued bird that didn't end up making it, Archimedes.

Oh, but the bunny was Fluffy.  Only because she really was fluffy.

9. Are there any names that you have an affinity or dislike for based on a childhood experience/someone you once knew?
There are a few names that bring back some not-so-fond memories....

"Hey, let's dig 'em up!!"

Yeah....no.

10. What are some of your favorite names? Why?
I like unique names.  Not like celebrity "unique" (read: weird), but names other than your typical Jessica and Jonathan. 

(Note: I am in no way saying those are crappy names.)

But I'm not going to share them because one or seven may end up with my future offspring and I'd rather not go through the "wow, that name sucks" round of comments.  Thanksomuch.

...

Enjoy Tuesday!  I, again, woke up thinking today was a day other than today....so I'm off to enjoy not Monday!

1 comment:

Kristin said...

I love your bunny's name. My bunny's name is Bunny. I know, it's really original.