Thursday, December 30, 2010

A Close Call

Now why in the H-E-double-hockey-sticks does my car have to be a magnet for 1) ice chunks and 2) highway debris flying through the air??

I apologize for the profanity, but this just peeves me right off.

Some of you newbies who don't have the time, energy, determination, stamina, etc. to read all 400+ previous posts may not know the issues (read: horrible, bad, worst luck) I've had since I've owned my darling little Tucson.

Above, I am referring to two specific incidents: the first happened in the winter of '07.  I was parked in my parents' driveway, closest spot to the house when a chunk of ice the size of you and me slid right off the roof and slammed into the side causing $3,000 in damages.

The second was that next summer as I drove up the highway to the movie theater.  A tire broke loose from a trailer in front of me and went bouncing down the road.  It bounced first on the pavement, which gave it just the boost it needed to jump up onto the hood of my car.  It's a miracle the sucker didn't land right in my lap.

So, what happened yesterday was a combination of the two.  To say I nearly had a heart attack would be an understatement.  To say I peed my pants would be a fact.

But I exaggerate.

Here I am yesterday evening making my way down I-87 after a long, uneventful day at work when a 1" thick (when things are flying toward you you tend to remember such details) chunk of ice twice the surface area of my hand flies off the car in front of me, crashes onto the corner of my windshield and skids up and off the top.

Let me tell you, it ain't so easy re-starting breathing patterns, unclenching every muscle in your body, and assessing damage while traveling at 70mph.

Luckily there was no damage.  Physically.

Mentally I'm a wreck.

This morning I flinched as a small piece of paper floated from car to car.  I don't think you ever get over these things.

**sigh**

No comments: