Friday, November 26, 2010

I'm Thankful For Fridays Off

Happy Post Turkey Day, everyone!  I hope you all are recovering nicely.

I, myself, still have a five-pound turkey/stuffing/pumpkin pie rock simmering in my stomach.  It's my second dinner waiting for my first dinner to complete digestion before it can hop on into the intestine train.

Too much?

We had a great day.  I ran in the Turkey Trot in the morning to get the ol' metabolism warmed up while Corey made several batches of cranberry sauce.

"Hey Beetle, can you wash the dishes?"
"Are you kidding??  I have to go run now!"

"You don't get it, I have a lot to do this morning."

"Oh for heaven's sake, you're boiling cranberries!!"

I was unable to beat my last time of some embarrassing number, but in my defense the first two miles were practically all uphill.

I limped back home afterward.  Old age has given me bad knees as an early Christmas present.

Thanks, a lot.

Corey eventually finished he cranberry project, not before making me stick my head in the pot half a dozen times:

"Can you smell this?!"

"Come here and smell this!!"

"This smells so good, come over here!"

It did smell sooo good.  From the other end of the apartment.  But apparently you don't get the full effect unless your nose is literally sucking up jelled cranberries.

We finished all of our baking projects late morning and drove down to my friend Liz's house where my family and hers were meeting.  There is never a dull moment when my family is present:

"These are nice glasses," my mom is talking about Liz's set of curved drinking glasses, "do they spoon when you put them in the cupboard??"

"What does 'spoon' mean?" asks Liz's 10-year-old stepdaughter.

"Uh, well..."

The food was very good, and I must say the stuffing was perfectly mushy.

Corey and I gobbled down a few slices of pie, then headed out for round two just 15 miles away with Corey's family.  Also, never a dull moment
  • 25 people
  • children under the age of 7
  • dogs
  • gingerbread houses
  • football
  • Brussels sprouts
  • and more
By eight o'clock my eyes were drooping and my buttons were struggling to hold on.  We left, and I passed out.  There was no way I would have been able to get up for my dad's and my traditional Black Friday shopping trip.  So I didn't.  We called it off this year, but to be resumed next year.

So here we are.  Recovery day.  To be spent....recovering.

I think I'll start with a bite to eat...

No comments: